Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Work in Progress: Oodles of Embroidery

The bead tray is looking a little chaotic right now as I try to wrangle several projects and get caught up on missed work. All the beading I've accomplished since last week was done within the last 24 hours or so, and there’s a lot of wasted hours in between.

Several days ago I was feeling a little under the weather, so I dusted off a favorite video game to veg with and it was so much fun that I didn't want to do much else. The same often happens when I get wrapped up in a good book, too. Although it’s pretty unproductive at the time, when I’m finally ready to get back to work, I’m bursting with ideas and eager to get going, so it does provide a nice creative boost in the end.

Fish Leather Embroidery in Progress


Right now I've got a couple of different embroidery experiments on the go, including some pieces using tilapia fish leather. It is really cool stuff; I’ll share more on its merits when I’m finished, but for now I can say that it really satisfies my craving for the natural patterns that I miss out on by not using gemstones.

Last week’s medallion is almost finished. Apparently for this one we’re going to be repeating transparent cherry and Montana sapphire throughout. So far, I like it! My summer collar idea is still on the drawing board until I get these more exciting experiments out of the way.

What are you working on this week?

Copyright 2014 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


4 comments:

  1. I'd never considered using fish leather for bead embroidery. I've experimented a little with using Ultrasuede and have been successful, but the only 'real' leather I've ever gotten a wild hair to use has been bovine, and it was too thick. Thanks for the idea/alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you start bead embroidery do you start with the foundation or the ultraseude and foundation. I have been taught both ways and was wondering your opinion on the subject?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always use simple wool felt for both the embroidery and backing nowadays. Whatever material I'm working with, I always start with the top piece/foundation, then stitch a backing on with an edge stitch. I work mostly with smaller designs, so I don't have a need for any additional layers; but for softer materials a little interfacing or even cardstock added between the layers before trimming can help some projects stay sturdy.

      My favorite thing about bead embroidery is that there aren't really any rules - you can do whatever works best for you and provides a nicely finished piece.

      Delete
  3. Finishing up a hand embroidered soutache bridal set.
    http://frenchmermaidcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com